Saturday, September 19, 2009

Dispatch Number 37 -Mozzies

Upon encountering the superior mosquito I had not fully taken into account what I was up against. In Western Honduras in the port town of Trujillo a special breed roams, very special. As a seasoned backpacker who spent a lot of time in the wilderness suffering with pesky insects I thought I knew the ways to deal with them.

To my shock the mosquitoes of Trujillo can fly in wind and make a landing to drain your blood. Remarkably they can do it in a rain storm too and they can penetrate a t-shirt. They fly at dusk, in total darkness and, perhaps the most unsettling, fly and attack in direct sunlight. I thought you could always escape a mozzie (Australian for mosquito) in direct sun light, but not these.

I am forced to seek refuge in the sticky hot dorm room where they still harass. They have defied all I have come to learn about biting insects and I find it a shocking misuse of nature. When the Spanish conquistador, Hernan Cortez set out to conquer Mexico almost 500 years ago they complained of mosquitoes so bad that they abandoned a camp because of them and I thought while reading that passage, how bad could it be? Now I have an idea.

David
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

3 comments:

TC said...

Get ready for Costa Rica....I hear they are more vicious!

Angel & Tina said...

oh, pobre sito! Sand fleas and mozzies love me...I hate them!
Have you ever seen that video the "little black fly"(tried to find it on youtube...but it's not available anymore...) Bugs while necessary...can be sooo evil! No me gusta!!

Tina &
Angel
we found this link

http://www.animationblog.org/2009/03/christopher-hinton-black-fly.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Fly_Song

First Verse

'Twas early in the spring when I decided to go
To work up in the woods in North Ontario
And the unemployment office said they'd send me through
To the Little Abitibi with the survey crew


Chorus

And the black flies, the little black flies
Always the black fly no matter where you go
I'll die with the black fly a-pickin' my bones
In North Ontar-eye-o-eye-o, In North Ontar-eye-o

Traveling Dave said...

Stayed to the mountains in Costa Rica so the mozzies have been few.

Just finished camping under Volcano Arenal for 5 days. It spurts out a continuous flow of lava boulders that start out the size of men and end up at the bottom of the downhill tumble as rocks. Exploding orange rocks. Now I know how some mountains are made.