Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Dispatch Number 43 -Two Boys

My cultural experience with two Nicaraguan boys that were seven or eight years old began with a "Hi" in the parking lot where I was staying. When I returned to get something from the truck they gathered up their nerve and asked for money -the handout. Begging.

Give us money., their hands held out
Why?, I asked.

This question stumped them into silence. I seldom give money to beggars, it weakens a person and produces dependent behavior. I look for other ways.

So I took the chance and asked, Do you know how to wash a car?
Yes, came their prompt reply.
How much?
After they whispered in consultation for a moment the older one said, 20 Cordobas, the equivelent of USD$1.00.
OK. I said.

They lacked the basic equipment and borrowed a bucket, soap and a scrub brush from the woman who ran the reception where I was staying. She cautioned me that they would need direction on how to do it. I waited until they got started so I could influence their work without telling them what to do. Empowerment and confidence is EVERYTHING to a child.

After they had been at it a while I joined them and to my pleasure the smallest one was standing on the roof of the truck scrubbing away. I worked with them, guiding the work while they had the satisfaction of doing it themselves. They were hard workers and highly motivated. It felt good to adapt to the begging by not dismissing them outright and looking for a way to show them one perspective of the relationship between money and work. I believe that by offering them work it made them stronger, rather than a handout that takes a piece of their self-respect with it.

It is the role of the community to teach the children basic conduct and skills. My travel philosophy is to interact with the people, learn their culture, eat local food, acquire the language and watch everything my eyes can absorb. So with the two boys it was a moment to participate in community.

Before I paid them I explained that I had shown them how to wash a car and that now they knew all they needed to do it on their own next time and emphasized that they were smart kids. I paid them in front of the reception lady to make the community experience complete.

You can talk about it or do it.

David
Casco Viejo, Panama City, Panama

No comments: