Sunday, April 25, 2010

Dispatch Number 63 -Errant Thoughts XIII

Song
"You do whatever you please, I'll do what I can."
-Beck

Road Signs
52 TON
-A bridge sign

On Foot
We ran in the open desert like lost neo-hippies
-A travel family gets out of the truck in a windswept landscape

The Way They Dress
The indigenous women wear loose moo-moo dresses that place a pleasant emphasis on their faces, hair and feet. My imagination wonders.

Rod & Reel
"Fishing can best be described as incessant expectation followed by perpetual disappointment."
-source unknown


Murphy
"Nothing is as easy as it looks. Everything takes longer than you think. If anything can go wrong it will."

Me
As a traveler, the perpetual stranger, I am allowed all my secrets.

Paper Towels
People in Latin America buy only what they need at the moment they need it. This stands in contrast to the North American penchant for buying enough paper towels to outlast a nuclear fallout. Paper towels to last years. Armageddon fears wrapped up in the unassailable logic of economics.

New Year
As a long-term traveler I find myself living increasingly in the present (some would say the life of an escapist). So standing on the shores of the Caribbean this past January the year ahead meant little. Once I made a big deal out of it. This year I did not feel like the dreamy man looking out over the bow spirit at the hopeful sea. Now, things feel more practical and short -this day, this week, this love.


David
Otavalo, Ecuador

6 comments:

Dana said...

'As a long-term traveler I find myself living increasingly in the present (some would say the life of an escapist)."

Dave never call yourself an escapist. This is very Buddha and actually the way we should all strive to live. But in America it is not what we strive and look at most of the people.

I was at a party years and I mean years ago where these dumb gals as I will call them (one was a therapist). Had the nerve to tell this gal that she was running away from herself by wanting to move to New York for a new life experience.

This is just a sample of the ignorance we live with her. I gave them my peace of mind. They are bitches....

TC said...

We switched to cloth...

Traveling Dave said...

Timmer, cloth diapers?
Buddha, Dana? Thank you, it feels supportive and a compliment to what I am doing.
David
Otavalo, Ecuador

TC said...

Cloth towels for wiping my face and ass...there's this been green thing going on in America...

Dana said...

I love it TC

TC said...

Gumby, here's another great Beck song to analyze - Lazy Flies on Mutations