Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Dispatch Number 85 -Two Years: Mexico

This is a series covering the past two years of car travels through Latin America that began in the fall of 2008. Beginning with Mexico and on through Central America's Guatemala-Honduras-Nicaragua-Costa Rica-Panama and South America's Columbia-Ecuador and Peru. The loose plan is to continue driving to the bottom of the world, Ushuaia, Argentina. These are stories of characters, experiences and hardships.


San Diego, California. I slept in the parking lot of Bob's Big Boy. That night sleep came with dread and reluctance as plans to drive into Mexico with a friend fell apart, I was about to go alone. Today, I write this Dispatch from South America in Peru, two and a half years and 20,000 miles later. I began travels as a tourist, then became a traveler and eventually found myself on an odyssey.

My intention to travel by land and sea have gone well, using only paper maps and asking locals for directions at nearly every intersection, since road signs are unusual. Dusty bumpy back-road travel done in an old, 1986 Toyota Land Cruiser, without a GPS gizmo, cellular phone or a computer. Locals often ride with me to the next town, sharing area attractions and what local crops are grown. The regions I stay in tend to be agrarian communities made up of subsistence agriculture, where majority of the day is spent securing life's essentials. A world without vacations and manual labor to the end.

I take occasional Spanish classes while living with host families absorbing local customs and culture. If categories matter, I am a rural tourist or in more extreme cases the anti-tourist. The intent when I left the US, was to see how another part of the world lived, and to see it off the Pan American Highway system, beginning in Mexico and running to the bottom of the world in Ushuaia, Argentina.


Here is the briefest recap of the journey to date, country by country, starting in October 2008 when I entered Mexico with a sinking feeling in my belly.

Mexico
October 2008


My cellphone rang, it was Stephanie. I wasn't at Bob's Big Boy anymore.

Can you wait another day for me to get there? I want to go with you into Mexico
.

I was so relieved. Not alone. My dream of driving the Western Hemisphere was launched when we crossed the border into Mexico through Tijuana. I had trouble remembering how to drive through Tijuana like I once knew as a youth, when friends and I would go there for day-long beer drunks on the beach. I'd awake after passing out over the backgammon board sun-burned and head blazing in pain.

A green traveler excited by it all, I exclaimed just about everything and everyone I came in contact with as, Great!

I suspected my enthusiasm irritated people. When I entered Mexico I spoke no Spanish, learning essentials along the way from gas station attendants and restaurant owners.
You don't say 'Gasolina Maximo', it's 'Lleno por favor' for fill 'er up,
said one Pemex attendant.
It was seat-of-the-pants learning that suited me well. Stephanie traveled with me for two months, taking back roads everywhere we went, making remote desert camps across Baja California.


We met Richard, an outlaw living in Bahia de Los Angeles, who escaped from the US before the feds caught him for large-scale pot growing in California, some mysterious friend in the US smuggled money to him periodically. A born storyteller, he dazzled us daily with tales of his past. His eccentric side was kept hidden until we went to town: he wore down-feather house boots and Bermudas to the bar in 90+ degree heat. Taking a Coke, he looked far-out with his unkempt silver hair and those booties. He taught me how to make lemonade and ceviche from the fish we caught together.

While in the desert I found a recent plane crash, one that overshot the runway a few days earlier during an emergency landing. I opened the aircraft door and went inside the twin engine air ambulance. In the medical kit I took blue surgical gloves as a memento. I felt criminal, however being at the site of a crash and able enter the plane unimpeded was too tempting. Where were the investigators and yellow tape, like on the news?

Months later in Taxco near Mexico City, I attended my first of many Spanish schools in Latin America. At the midpoint of the language program, I invited a class-mate to go with me to a village to visit an old man I gave a ride to weeks earlier. Looking for Mr. Rodriquez. A seventy-something compact man with a wrinkled face, who grew medicinal plants and had extended an invite when I dropped him off.

My classmate and I rolled into the small village and asked a group of Sunday beer drinkers, one that included a boisterous bull rider,
If they knew where we could find Mr. Rodriquez?
No, we don't know who that is,
came the group reply after a minute or so of discussion between eight of them.
I brought out two bottles of beer and joined with my friend Katka, who looked displeased to see me drink at this hour.
Thirty minutes and six one-liter bottles of beers later. Suddenly, the oldest and fattest in the group blurts out, That's my uncle! Rodriquez, is my uncle! He hasn't lived here in two years.

Southern Mexico

Don't go there. Zapatista country is dangerous with kidnappings, robberies and murders, they said. They are usually the ones who never go, but rely on repeated stories of mayhem that may have been accurate ten years back. When it comes to human adaptation people hopelessly cling to the past. I think animals in Darwin's world adapt faster than humans do. The warnings filled me with resolve.

Zapatista (EZLN: Ejército Zapatista de Liberación Nacional, Zapatista Army of National Liberation) is a political-social movement for the under-represented indigenous class in Mexico and is based in San Cristobal de la Casis, a place that draws intellectual revolutionaries the world over. While hardly revolutionary, the colonial city with its low skyline felt entertaining and heavily touristed. As a commercial revolutionary from the north, I bought an EZLN coffee mug.

Only while traveling with Matt, an excellent surfer from Australia, in the heart of Chiapas along the border with Guatemala, did things begin to feel revolutionary. A region where communities rejected national government, preferring self-rule based on Zapatismo Ideology. These communities posted black and red hand painted signs outlining the manifesto. Anti-Federal graffiti was everywhere, often in the form of murals on school walls. This region felt tough, but not unsafe to the outsider.

It was in this region, we found small Maya communities set in the jungle, some said they had undiluted Maya blood -they did look different, a lot different. Matt and I camped at one spot on a swim hole playing backgammon and swimming with locals. For a couple days we puzzled over the relationship between the caretaker/owner and his young helper. Matt, finally broke the silence that summed up our confusion, She's the plumpy wife-daughter.

Mexican culture is vibrant, lively and proud like few others countries in Latin America. They had blood in their veins. Mexico possesses an incredible treasure of Spanish-era Catholic churches, unrivaled by any other I have visited in the Americas. Its food among the best in the hemisphere, Peruvian fare comes a distant second. I had set the tone in Mexico, living a third-class life, staying in dumpy hotels and eating comida tipica, local dishes to make the money last, and it has been that way ever since. I don't want to come home!

Alienation was my natural condition, I was a stranger everywhere I went. With everything familiar stripped away, I felt childlike, defenseless and dim, and having to acquire a language. Mexico helped me understand what I wanted: to immerse in local culture and not patronize the locals.

David
Chiquian, Peru

More on Mexico: select Dispatches-

Joe and Red Light District-http://travelingdave-intheamericas.blogspot.com/2009/02/dispatch-number-8-joe.html

Bull Fighting, I'll Go Again-http://travelingdave-intheamericas.blogspot.com/2009/07/dispatch-number-22-la-coleta.html

Richard the Outlaw-http://travelingdave-intheamericas.blogspot.com/2009/02/dispatch-number-11-richard.html

Lampoon the RV-class-http://travelingdave-intheamericas.blogspot.com/2009/01/dispatch-number-5-rv-park.html

Churches & Weddings-http://travelingdave-intheamericas.blogspot.com/2009/08/dispatch-number-25-weddings_03.html

16 comments:

Dana said...

It is funny how sometimes doing something alone can be so scary, when being alone can be so wonderful. What are we truly afraid of?

I wonder all the time in these situations. I think it's the fear of the unknown that is why death scares me so much. I pride myself the enjoyment of doing things alone. However, when I traveled that year alone I found myself afraid sometimes to go outside the door. I think it was the unfamiliarity of the place it was fear wrapped with excitement. If I didn't think about it too hard I could do it. I discovered that I am a traveler who needs a feeling of familiarity so to get that I would find a restaurant I liked and go there for almost all meals so that I could feel like a local. It helped ease my unsettling feelings.

I think the scariest was traveling alone at night in Pushkar, India where a tuk tuk was taking me to town and these men in a car stopped him because they wanted to give me a ride. I am sure they thought an American girl, sex and more sex. I told the tuk tuk driver I paid you so take me now! While inside my heart was pumping hard, thinking where could I run to on this dark road.

Do you find a lot of women traveling to remote places as you are doing?

I really enjoy your stories about people and their lives either as travelers, locals, drifters, etc. I think it would be great if you went into more depth and maybe even added some photos of them. For instance the outlaw, what were some of the stories about his life? It’s a real life movie….

Traveling Dave said...

Dana,

I enjoyed your comment, a lot. You say so much.
I do meet a few female travelers who go solo in the more remote places, but they are few. Usually it is the cyclists peddling the Western Hemisphere who pop up solo. The tough ones, I say. Most solo female backpackers remain close to the gringo trail and I can understand why, and have had it explained to me many times by them. Your tuk-tuk story! Yikes. How vulnerable you must have felt.

As for Richard the Outlaw, go to bottom of the Mexico piece for link to a Dispatch I wrote about him, it covers him exclusively. There are a few others there, too on other characters I met along the way in Mexico.

I appreciate your remarks/suggestions on what subjects read well. Know that it does influence my writing, thanks. Suggestions and constructive criticism is always welcomed.

A piece on Guatemala is coming soon, as I work my way south from country to country.

David
Chiquian, Peru

Dana said...

I read Richard's story, poor guy. Sounds like he didn't get enough as a child in that he probably was told or made to feel confident. I wouldn't be suprised if he is running away from someone. I would say he was into cocaine and heroin was some dealers but boy. Scares are from track marks, bad fight and possible sucide the elaborate war stories are to paint a more glamerous past life where he was someone. Sounds like bits from movies and books he read. He is probably on the run from a dealer he owes alot of cash too.

I met a similar guy Jon who was hiding out in Nepal. He looked a lot like Woody Allen. He supposedly spoke 38 languages and was an intellect. He lived a flashy past with lots of cash and was tired of the US. He loved to tell me about is big penis in hopes that I wanted to try it out for a ride. He also wanted me to invest in his energy powder product he was going to distribute with his rich crooning looking Nepali man. I found his conversations entertaining at first but then I found him freaky. Rumor was he was fucking young Nepali boys and doing heroin. Watt from South Africa had the scoop since he also was a junky who could make some great mama login food like peanut chicken. I felt for him so I would make his day by buying food and letting him cook it. Oh the stories....

I blame the US portrait of a women for making travel sometimes more risky for us lady. Most countries only know about us from the media which potrays ladies as sex objects. Then you have lady travelers who don't respect the culture in dress and invite problems. You don't have your tits hanging out in India. I love it when they don't understand why they are getting hassled. Can they reLly be that ignorant? I think it is all just part of the attention game. I hope it changes someday and women will realize that being respected as a person comes first. And leave something up to the imagination you don't need to show all your cards so fast.

Looking forward to more travel stories. I really enjoy reading your blog I can't say enough it is GREAT what you are doing it takes guts to give it up and go especially when you are from a culture that can't appreciate it. People love today you are running away when it is them that is running away the road really opens you up to yourself. You no longer have the comfort buffers to turn yourself off. Right on and keeping going!!!

Dana said...

Spelling bad from typing on my phone..sorry

Traveling Dave said...

Dana,

Your Woody Allen guy...it seems to take about two weeks to get an real reading on somebody, especially if they are a smooth talking invest-in-my-business type. Interesting what you uncovered later! No wonder home in the US doesn't suit someone like him.

It is a sad commentary when on occasion you meet someone who left their own country, so they can prey on people in poorer countries where accountability is much less. You meet them and they leave a sour taste in the mouth. Living out their daemons while wanting to make you a friend in all of it, so they can feel normal on the outside.

As a traveler, I think of myself as a minor diplomat -it does matter what I do and how I conduct myself.

I agree 100% about foreign women and choice of dress when traveling. When I meet up with those that make this complaint,I always share this point. Dress more conservatively, I ask them to consider. Then I end it with, observe the local women of similar age and cover your body like they do. It is also a respect thing for the communities you visit to dress appropriately.

Thank you for supporting and believing in what I am doing. It matters.

Down the Road,
David
Chiquian, Peru

Dana said...

i agree about those that come to live in these poor countries to prey on the poor. That is what I think a lot of the ex-pats do. The poor countries are where they can finally feel rich and powerful.

I met some ladies at the British embassy who were trying to help poor girls in villages get an education. The leader of the group didn't want to allow one of the poor girls who went to there program to become a member because she wasn't sure how they would interact with her.

Some of these ex-pats really pissed me off, so you felt like a loser in the Western culture so now you can come here and feel like a winner and treat people who are from here like shit. No way!!

I had many a fights about rights of all kinds. One time I shook my fist in these men's faces for throwing rocks at poor starving dogs, I made a man give up his seat to a lady in a bus, I fought with the owner of the fancy gym to allow a lower caste to join their facilities. It was great!

But the ex-pats well that is another story. RESPECT the locals this your home not yours. But I see even here how people are to my husband. They call him a Sherapa and think of him as a mere porter who carries your bags up Mt. Tam. They feel he cannot be as good as them because he doesn't have the Harvard degree, and the all the pedigree from being a US person. So that is what some of these ex-pats act like in a country that isn't theirs. It PISSES me off.

Dana said...

Sorry Mt. Everest. I had some wine tonight. LOL I need to proof read before I post.

Mac Daddy said...

"excellent surfer" your too kind Dave. Also totally forgot about the plumpy call, hahahah, there was defiantly something going on there.

Traveling Dave said...

Matt,

Yes, excellent surfer. I thought I'd imply via the photos. I remember you being pissed off there were no shots of you made by the Belgium girl with the heart of ice.

Dana,

More wine, more writing. I agree with you. I tend to drill the people who "volunteer" or work for NGOs asking why and what they do. I am shocked at how little these organizations actually work with the communities they are serving. It is a push-down effect, in the we-know-best approach. Without buy-in by local community projects die off.

Most people bring their shit with them wherever they go.

I am happy and in a warmer climate at moment. Will leave soon for the high altitude Mountains again.

Down the Road,
David
Huanuco, Peru

Dana said...

The mountains sound wonderful. They do have some wonderful mountain ranges there. I did like Peru. Enjoy

Mac Daddy said...

I managed to find 2 photos, one was blurry out of focus and the other one i was that tiny you could just make out my modest pixelated beer gut. I'm just bummed because didn't your camera have like a huge 2gig storage unit and also wasn't it set up for sequential photos. F@#! hello, just hold down on the button and eventually you'll end up getting a good photo, not that hard, lol she was blonde so I really shouldn't of expected much else, hahaha

FJ60 said...

Dave, its always great to read about your journey and to know that you are safe and surviving. We get a little concern when their is no update for a long period of time. Also, it good to see pictures of Azulita in her environment that she was built for and that she is getting you where your journey is taking you. Be safe, have fun and enjoy life.

Traveling Dave said...

Who has the moniker "FJ60"? Thanks for your comment, just I like to know who it is.

Matt, I see you are still smarting over the surf photos shots, wasn't that two years ago!

I'm trying to finish the Guatemalan piece, hope to have it up shortly.

David
Huanuco, Peru

FJ60 said...

David, I raised Azulita fka Big Blue and am glad that she is in wonderful hands doing what she was made for.

Anonymous said...

I guess you may want to place a twitter button to your blog. Just marked down this blog, although I had to do this by hand. Just my 2 cents.

Unknown said...

Dana, I recognize your descriptions of apprehendion and fear when being approached by locals when traveling. I also get frustrated with the prejudice on Western women. Believe it or not, the imagery of Dutch women is even worse than that of US women...

Haha, and what David says is precisely how he made me aware of my inappropriate dress in those areas. It helps not only to keep the men away (to some degree) but also to connect easyer to the women who live there.