Friday, May 20, 2011

Dispatch Number 90 - Two Years: Panama

This is a continuation of a series recapping the past two years of travels through Latin America by car, each Dispatch is a single country summary from Mexico, through Central America's Guatemala-Honduras-Nicaragua-Costa Rica-Panama and through South America's Columbia-Ecuador and Peru. The loose plan is to continue driving to the bottom of the world, Ushuaia, Argentina. These are stories of characters, experiences and hardships.

 
Panama
November 2009
Marjolein handed me the map.
Was this the right road to the border crossing? I asked.
She navigates fine, it's just that holding the map calms me down.
It felt like a border crossing, but the usual visual ques were missing and before I knew it, drove into Panama bypassing all controls. You had to pay attention at smaller crossings like this, they have no gates or neutral zone and no armed guards.
The crossing ran through Costa Rica's mountainous coffee region, steep, green and misty. It was the seasonal harvest, Panamanian Indians, the regions migrant workers, were flooding into Costa Rica.

I sat in a featureless concrete office on a black plastic and chrome chair. The Panama border agent is a racist and die-hard Yankees baseball fan who likes his snappy uniform. He's a young mestizo (a mix of Spanish and indigenous blood, the same blood he prejudices), speaks impeccable English, and tells us with glee how he despises these migrant workers. He's not subtle and doesn't try to conceal it with coded language, in fact, the more he rails against them the more excited he gets. (I know I mix past and present tense, and don't care) He goes on about how stupid they are and don't speak Spanish well. Marjolein and I are trapped. We have to endure this imbecile and nod, like obedient children, since we don't have our passports stamped, yet.


The Stop
On the coastal resort island Bocas del Toro, we made friends with a Colombian couple, Sandra and Fernando, an attractive light-hearted pair. We frolicked on remote gold sand beaches, sipped Cuban rum and skinny dipped in the middle of the day. They joined us when we left Bocas, traveling south through central Panama.

On our second day, driving down the Pan American Highway, we were stopped at a roadside check point. When they reviewed our passports and noted our friends were Colombian, told me they wanted to search the truck. It was going to be a real search inside an inspection center, not the usual kind of cursory search with easy questions and me waxing and waning about how much I like the country.
OK, search the truck. I said, feeling confident.
No. Not here. Over there in the inspection building, said the all-business officer.

I pulled in and set the emergency brake. I was displeased to see a drug dog and another unsmiling officer. The search bay was sterile, not a workshop full of tools, the emptiness was disconcerting and gave me flashes from the film, The French Connection, when they tear a car apart looking for heroin.


Half the gear is emptied on the floor, including each person's backpack. The dog checks everything. You watch this as if waiting for a bomb to go off, expecting the dog to stop and tail go rigid. After the bags, the trainer sets the dog loose inside the truck, it sniffs everything. Anxiety was building, even though I had no drugs and felt comfortable my friends were clean.
Would they plant something? Push for a bribe? I knew I was vulnerable to a bribe situation or worse a plant job, followed by a fake bust.

To my shock, Fernando directly confronts the lead officer, Are you are searching my friend's truck because we are Colombians?
The cop looked stunned at the directness of the question, paused a few seconds and said, No, that's not why, go stand over there.

I couldn't believe Fernando's brazenness. Watching this, I learned you can get away with a lot, while providing distraction and making the experience personal, instead of freezing up. Police in Latin America are not as strict as those in Europe or North America, where you'd be sitting in a secure room while they searched.
Fernando wasn't done.

When he found out the dog was trained in the Netherlands, where Marjolein is from, he brings her into it, She's from Holland, loves dogs and is a photographer. Can she take a picture of the dog and it's handler? He was brilliant.
Yeah, sure, as the officer posed with the stupid-looking blonde dog.
Then we were off. Silence in the car. Relieved.

Marjolein Groot Nibbelink

Santa Fe
Gamaliel is a campesino, a subsistence farmer. We met him while looking out over the valley and the coffee town below, Santa Fe. Our conversation covered a broad range of subjects: national politics, healthcare, Hugo Chavez, local farming and recent property development in Santa Fe. It was becoming a destination for Europeans and North Americans buying land and homes.

He explained how the community changed with the influx of money. Locals bartered less and helped each other less when money became the dominant social currency.
Gamaliel was kind and considerate and after a couple of hours, asked, Do you want to talk with your girlfriend? I can go.


It was delicate and indirect. We parted ways, touched by the interaction. He returned with his four year old son and said how much he enjoyed meeting us and presented a handful of local Mandarin oranges; then vanished into the forest with his boy. This kind of human connection is more satisfying than anything you can buy, and reminded me of why I travel. 

A Bridge Too Far
Dateline: November 23, 2009, 12:50pm on Monday.
Crossed the Panama Canal today, driving across Puente las Americas, Bridge of the Americas.
A landmark on the journey to the bottom of the world. The Pacific entrance was full of ships at anchor, waiting to transit the Canal.



People in the Hood
I poured a drink and watched the sticky-hot street from the balcony. A neighborhood drunk stoops at the corner, his corner, next to a trash box and fire hydrant. He's there every day and is barely holding it together. He had a brutal and ravaged face, that said, This is what life does to us.
Homeless-dark skin, body thin and depleted. Hands soiled at the edges.

After earning small change dumping hotel trash, he skips off around the corner to buy morning drink, returning to his corner with a pint of aguardiente, rot-gut. He argues with the local police that stand on his corner and fill the neighborhood. He pats his back pocket and tells me the bottle suits him fine, since he no longer has a wife or anything else worthwhile. He has nothing left to give and life, nothing left to take.

Casco Viejo was the original City, now it's a district within greater Panama City, surrounded by skyscrapers. Casco Viejo has old colonial charm that is slowly being gentrified into a high-end residential district of rescued colonial buildings. The influx of new well-to-do residents mix with poor residents that have lived there for decades in decayed bombed out buildings.


It's a poverty stricken neighborhood where many hustle a few coins at a time. They help park cars and guard them, sell cigarettes by the each, and wash cars with threadbare rags, using water from public fountains.

One of the homeless is a former Panama Canal worker, who lost his job after repeatedly failing drug tests. He lives on the street in rags and sleeps in a decrepit building where the doors and windows are bricked up. I gave him some of my t-shirts and a new toothbrush. I want nothing from him, not even a thank you. The next day, he gives me everything I need. From my balcony perch, I watch him come out of the crumbling building wearing a t-shirt I gave him.

The Swiss kid is an over-enthusiastic backpacker who talks too much. I try to hasten the conversation to an end. I've stayed in the neighborhood a while and developed a morning routine, a walk along the waterfront, before the sun turns vicious. I tell him about it.
The next day I ask, How was it? I detect some pride.
He pauses, smirks and looks pleased with himself, Yeah, I got robbed by a 15 year old, I chased him into the neighborhood after he swiped my knapsack.


I felt guilty for having made the recommendation. He chased the kid down in flip-flops and got his bag back. Now he has a travel story: adventure without humiliation.

It was late afternoon on shoeshine row. Men sit on low stools in front of shine chairs. I chose an old man over the younger ones. This one polishes for his next bottle of beer and can barely do the job. His hands shake badly and has trouble making the swirl-patterns to apply the cream. The old man works steadily for his next beer while his body struggles to keep up.


Container Ships and Sailboats
For big decisions, serious ones, I am fond of saying, “it's time for a come-to-jesus meeting”, a deep, non-religious consultation of sorts, like the one I had in Panama to decide whether to turn back or continue driving south. It was a question of money and curiosity, I still had some of both and put the truck on a ship bound for South America.


The Central America leg came to a close when I said goodbye to Marjolein, she was returning to the land of windmills and wood shoes. James and I shipped our cars independently, without freight forward services, exposing us to the process of shipping international cargo. It was arduous, took a lot of time, and taught me about Latin American bureaucracies and culture. James and I left Panama on an 11 meter (36') sailboat captained by David, an experienced Frenchman. A four-day sail over one of the roughest parts of the Caribbean Sea.

After sailing out of San Blas' calm coastal waters, the swell turned big in the open sea and I became seasick. I never returned to my bunk and stayed above deck; I hardly resembled a sailor, and spent the rest of the journey coiled up in the fetal position. The crew nicknamed me the sloth, since I rarely moved.

Although seasick, I was not excused from night-watch, when we'd scan the horizon for ships that could sink us; sadly, I fell asleep draped over the safety cables that keep you from falling off the boat, leaving James, my watch-mate alone. When the boat surged hard to port, I awoke from a deep sleep in total panic, grasping the cables fearing for my life, I thought I was being pitched overboard into the black midnight sea.


For Select Past Dispatches on Panama hit these select links and look for the Colombia summary in next Dispatch Number 91-

Francis the Psychiatrist, who told Fortunes and Believed in UFOs-
The Panama Canal is So Quiet-
Chapter One: Central America Comes to a Close-
Errant Thoughts Panama and Region-

David
Huaraz, Peru

12 comments:

Dana said...

nice photo of you and your lady. You can't tell that your old enough to be her dad :). You still look as I remember you at 26 when I first met you or maybe you were 27. Travel takes away the years because the stress is gone.

Glad you are in love Dave, makes for better travel. Lucky you to get a passport to Europe was a dream of mine. But hey I have a passport to Nepal/India....

Seasick sucks I get it badly myself. Lot's of shaky hands in 3rd world countries, especially with ex pats that live there for cheap so they can drown themselves in drink all day.

See you soon in beautiful San Francisco!

Traveling Dave said...

Dana,

Yeah, passport to Europe, as an American it is remarkably easy to enter the country, others have to work very hard to get in.

Aging...I see my body changing in slight ways, but feel young at heart. Marjolein is beyond her years and we end up matching well.

When I was at SGI I was in early 30s.

I am looking forward to visiting you and your family in San Francisco/Bay Area, ready to fly tomorrow night for Los Angeles. I'll keep you up to date when I'll be in the area.

David
Lima

Anonymous said...

Creo que Dana esta un poco celosa, pero no importa siempre cuando las mujeres perdemos algo o a alguien empezamos a ver todo lo malo de los demas, pero no entendemos que lo malo siempre esta primero en nosotros y después vienen los demás.
Además a mi no me molesta la foto es muy bonita y tu te vez muy bien y feliz que es lo mas importante.
Gracias a Dios por lo menos me relajo cuando te veo en este blog y sé que estás conteno.
Besos para tí y gracias otra vez por permitirme ser parte de tu mundo.
Vanessa
Quito- Ecuador

Dana said...

Vanessa, celoso, no es lo que es. He conocido a Dave desde hace mucho tiempo. Se trata de una broma ya que mi esposo es de 9 años más joven que yo. No entiendo lo que quieres decir por el mal o es usted un tipo religioso. No hay mal en mi respuesta. De hecho me siento molesto por su mención del mal sobre todo cuando no tienes ni idea sobre mi persona. Es posible que desee ver las fuertes palabras que salen de tu escritura.

Dana said...

Dave,

Yes it will be fun to catch up. My husband is hoping to make some Nepali food for you. It is too bad Marjolein cannot join us. I am hoping that Stina can. She is the only one I keep in touch with that you met back in our younger days.

So you were in your 30's when we first started SGI? Then I must of been late twenties since I am a few years younger then you.

My body feels the age too, but my mind is still like a child, calmer though...

Anonymous said...

ok.Dana y yo no puedo bromear también? tengo 36 años y salgo con un chico que tiene 23 y eso no es un problema y no soy religiosa ni quiero serlo,solo comento sobre algo que lo entendí y claro lo siento mucho yo no quiero ofender a nadie solo escribo lo que pienso y siento.
Me alegra que tengas el espiritu joven porque hay mujeres que conozco que son mucho más jovenes que yo y dicen que no les importa la vida.Soy una mujer con espiritu libre, aventurero y me siento niña también y estoy feliz por ti y por mi por sentirnos igual.
so sorry my apologies with you.
Vanessa
Baños Ecuador

Dana said...

Vanessa mis disculpas a los que se apresure a ir a la mierda cristiana. Tengo una madre que es religioso, pero aún así es un hipócrita. Estoy sensative a esto, así que tienden a enfadarse demasiado rápido. Yo también soy de sangre latina, mis abuelos son de España. Es tan bueno para usted tener un hombre más joven. Mi amigo en sus últimos años 50 estaba teniendo una aventura amorosa con una de 27 años. Él tenía problemas en el largo plazo debido a los niños que quieren. Ella se rompió el corazón. Es curioso cómo los hombres salen con mujeres más jóvenes la mitad de su edad todo el tiempo pero la gente lo trate diferente para una mujer.

Una vez más mis disculpas por ser caliente tan rápido. Disfruta de tu juventud. Ahora tengo 44 y tengo que decir que es muy diferente a continuación, siendo 36. 36 fue maravilloso. 40's se extraña, el cuerpo comienza a cambiar. También soy madre de más edad para que pueda tener algo para hacer con él. Yo tuve a mi hijo a los 39 años.

¡Paz! Namaste, como dicen en el país de mi marido que significa mi alma solutos tu alma.

Anonymous said...

oh,Dana erwes muy dulce y si que lastima que a muchas mujeres como a mi nos gustan los hombres viejitos, pero disfruto tambien de los hombres jovenes porque me enseñan cosas y yo les enseño más jajajaja!!! con respecto a lo religioso totalmente de acuerdo contigo porque aqui en mi pais Ecuador, se puede ver mucha hipocresia.
gente que va a la iglesia y reza (pray)cuando salen empiezan a hablar de los demas y criticar, entonces mi pregunta es por qué mierda van a la iglesia si no practican lo que aprenden ahi? en fin su problema no el mio.
solo dejame contarte que yo creo mucho en muchas cosas e incluso sigo creyendo en la gente , aunque a veces suelen pagarte mal, peo yo creo en ellos y creo en el amor tambien.no creo que para eso hay tiempo o condicion si las cosas se dan que bueno, peo si no tienes la oportunidad de elegir.
pienso que cada etapa de mi vida ha sido maravillosa 20´s 30´S Y ESPERO RECIBIR MIS 40´s como muchas mujers que conozco felices, como mi mejor amiga adriana tiene 39 años, no tiene hijos y parece una mujer de 25 muy activa y muy guapa, ademas creo que las mujeres nos vemos sexy en todas las edades y creo que tu debes ser una cuarentona sexy( sin ofender claro)
siempre digo lo mismo vive la vida como si fuera el ultimo día, disfruta de las cosas maravillosa que estan a tu alrededor, tambien tienes por quien vivir tu hijo, tu esposo;entonces no te sientas mal por tener 44 o 60 vales mucho y eres importantepara todos a tu alrededor.
Namaste tambien aprendo un poco de yoga.
Vanessa
Baños Ecuador
ahora es vanessa y dana´s blog jajajaja!!!

Anonymous said...

Later that day I got to thinking about relationships. There are those that open you up to something new and exotic, those that are old and familiar, those that bring up lots of questions, those that bring you somewhere unexpected, those that bring you far from where you started, and those that bring you back. But the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. If you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that's just fabulous" - Sex and the City
Vanessa.
Quito

Dana said...

Vanessa, yes it is becoming our blog :). So you are from Ecuador, wow. Your country is on my list to visit. I really love what I have seen of South America so far which is Peru, Chile, Argentina, and a brief stay in Rio, Brazil.

What is life like in your country for a women. Are you able to be single later in life? Have a good job? Not have a child or be a single mother? In my husbands country (Nepal) still a lot of this is difficult for women. Times are changing but women still don't have as many rights as men. If a family is poor the money for education goes for the son, etc. It was hard to watch this being from the Western world. Not to say we have it right either but at least as a women in the US we can do a lot for ourselves.

You are right that we need to feel good at all points in our life. But 40's have a sadness to them. I have asked other women about it and they feel it to. It is a time when your body starts to change towards your older life. It feels like your youth is moving behind you and time is running out for it. It's not that you are depressed even though some women become that way from the hormone change it is just you know your body is changing and it is not like it use to be.

Ok my friend, let's keep in touch. You can always email me at decker.dana@gmail.com. I would enjoy being pen pals if you would.

All the best! Dana

Anonymous said...

my email adress is vanessgabb@yahoo.es

David, espero que tengas un increible cumpleaños mañana tengo muchisimo trabajo y no voy a tener tiempo ni para cooer, tengo estudiantes privadas y sabes no saben ni una palabra de españoltengo que usar inglesy eso no me gusta, pero solo quiero desearte
FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS!!!! que la pases super bien. recuerda que te quiero mucho y siempre te llevare en mi corazon.
Vanessa
Quito Ecuador

Traveling Dave said...

Vanessa,

Thank you for the birthday wishes.

Gracias por su deseas de cumplianos.

David