Thursday, August 6, 2009

Dispatch Number 27 -Oscar

In the gun totting Olancho Department known as the Wild West of Honduras I met Oscar a Costa Rican small arms dealer who looked like he made his real money peddling high quality leather gun holsters. We were staying at a Hospedaje, Latin America's version of a flop house with clean simple rooms with shared baths and showers. A basic room is $2.50 a night. I spent $5 so I could have the luxury of a fan and a window.

His girlfriend, Dixie was a robust woman who was open and flirtatious asking if I wanted to meet her sister, cousin or a friend of hers. It is a Honduran trait to match make and is an experience this traveller encounters when stopping to talk with people. She asked for my cell number and I explained that I did not own a cell phone. I think she may have taken my reply as a blow off -I mean who doesn't own a cell phone these days?

Late the next night Oscar came by and we talked about nothing then said goodnight. He returned a moment later and gave me a memento to remember him by, it was a baby sandal made of tan leather, he suggested I hang it from the mirror of my truck. A minute later he vanished like a shadow with a rucksack full of possessions and a nylon potato sack filled with the rest of it. The traveling salesman.

I looked at the baby shoe and decided not to hang it. I have read too much true crime and drew up a sinister relationship immediately of a infant kidnapper and how I wouldn't fare well in superstitious Latin America if they took a misunderstanding to it.

No matter how determined you are you are shaped by your environment.

David
Danli, Honduras

5 comments:

TC said...

Maybe you should have looked at picking up a pair of custom shoes made out of some local fare?

Traveling Dave said...

I already have too much stuff! I did buy local sandals in Guatemala a short while back.
David

Traveling Dave said...

I already have too much stuff! I did buy local sandals in Guatemala a short while back.
David

Unknown said...

David Stamation? Did you attend John Muir Elementary? I am curious, as I may have been an aquaintance of yours. If not, I am enjoying reading your blog all the same. Best wishes

Anonymous said...

Got an error message.
Are you David Stamation, from Santa Monica?