Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Dispatch Number 33 -Bar

After a day on the dusty roads in Western Honduras I wanted a beer. When traveling alone I am apprehensive entering bars. I had spotted a place that looked open and well lit, safe and had a good view of the park. Sunday afternoon as good as any to savor a few beers in hot weather while taking in the Honduran life. Always one to be cool when I walk into the wrong bar I sat down acted as if everything was normal and ordered a beer.

Sitting at tables crowded around the entrance were a group of men dressed as women. They were tall, cute, fashionably dressed and thin. I relaxed a little and was glad that they felt free to pretend, although I avoided their stares. Unsettled at the surprise expecting a normal bar I fiddled with my beer while the women looked me over something hard. I demurred with a restrained smile. I felt like hunted prey as the tigresses looked me over with long stares and sexy allure. Ahh, how a woman feels when the eyes of sex hungry men descend upon her!

Here in the remote department of Olancho in western Honduras is the heart of cowboy country full of ranch hands that ride horses more than cars, herd cattle and carry pistols. It is known as the Wild West of Honduras and regarded with a certain weariness by the rest of Honduras. Catacamas is at the end of the paved road deep in Olancho in the land of the working man. Marlboro Man kind of land, although Olancho has a great deal more edge than the American west it is similar to what Texas represents to the American. So with transvestites a table away the irony never seemed so complete.

The sun smiles upon us all without difference -it is ones disposition in life that makes it different.

David
Moyogalpa, Isla de Ometepe, Nicaragua

2 comments:

TC said...

Way to go smooth operator....did you almost feel back at home in San Fran burb of Castro?

Traveling Dave said...

A little bit, it was a tad more intense in this Olancho bar.
David