Thursday, December 3, 2009

Dispatch Number 46 -Locals

Keep on Truckin'
I met Costa Rican truck driver, Mr. Perez, a driver for hire, who hauls cargo in other peoples trucks while at the border crossing between Nicaragua and Costa Rica. We were standing in the hot sun processing our vehicle documents. I learned from my conversation with him that he drives loads all over Central America for $65 per run, driving up to 12 hours per day. Perez's favorite truck: Freightliner.

Spacemen
I came to watch a gaseous volcano kick out newly minted rocks by the hour and instead met Freddy a Costa Rican wood craft artist and UFO fanatic. We were standing at the base of the very active Arenal Volcano. When we first met I thought he had alive eyes, after he grew comfortable he asked if I believed in those silver discs that fill the skies his eyes grew to the size of small plates. Before I realized what my answer would trigger he had me watching a DVD filled with amateur clips on his portable player.

Do you want to watch? he asked.
Sure, I said sensing the trap, I have to leave soon, so only a few minutes (I detest getting trapped in these kind of webs whether it is UFOs, Bibles or the worst of the lot looking at some one's personal picture collection usually delivered by the 100's.)

We view the clips...more than once.
Now, was I convinced? he wanted to know.
No. Not a believer., I replied.

In my reckless thinking I thought I could convince him that they do not exist explaining that they were anything but UFOs, as I proudly pointed out the technical problems with lens reflection in most of the amateur clips. Either my Spanish was too vague or he chose not to take my points into consideration. I suspected the latter as the two of us became Missionaries in our own right. As often as ever people dislike being caught between their self-delusion and hard practicality.

While traveling I learned that language can keep doors shut or open them beyond one's wildest expectations.

Coming Home
While Azulita, my 1986 Toyota Land Cruiser was in the shop for repairs I met Costa Rican, Enrique who recently resettled in his home country after twenty-plus years in New Jersey raising a family and running a small business.

Why did you return? I asked
To be closer to the greater family. We paid for many visits for relatives to see our home in New Jersey, we can't invite them all to visit that way. We are all close together now.
What do you miss most about life in the United States?
In the States it is easy to get stuff. Like at Napa Auto Parts you can get this distributor rotor in every shop, right now, I can't locate one in Costa Rica.
So, you miss the shopping convenience?
Yeah, in Costa Rica, if you go to one place a tire costs $40, then down the street they charge $32 for the same tire. In the States the prices are pretty much the same. It's a lot of work to buy stuff.

David
Casco Viejo, Panama City, Panama

No comments: