Monday, December 14, 2009

Dispatch Number 50 -Drinking With Russians

We took the truck as far as it could go, the end of the road where the Mosquito Coast begins. From here on the remote wilds are only accessible by boat in the deepest reaches of Honduras along the Caribbean coast. We were in a damp, musty, mosquito ridden dump of a hotel drinking on the patio saying our goodbyes. My friends were getting on a boat in the morning and I was turning back. The booze everyone packed for the journey was consumed that night.


I listened as attentively as my numbed head would allow to the Russian's explanation of the proper way to drink. I have always been curious about Russia and her culture and the beautiful couple from St. Petersburg presented a rare chance to learn more. They explained the proper method to drink so one could avoid a hangover. By consuming liquor and beer in a particular order one could dodge the morning bullet; due to my fueled state at the time I will pass over the details since I cannot recall them clearly. To drink any other way was to invite a hangover and the most damning of class remarks, it was, to drink like a whore.


Olga was beautiful and I could not resist what I said next. I noticed that we were drinking in precisely the way they said not to, we were heading for a hangover. Far from caring at that stage about manners I told Olga we were drinking like whores. Lovely Olga replied with a frown.

David
Casco Viejo, Panama

4 comments:

66 Underachiever said...

You're funny.

Traveling Dave said...

You are one of the few.
David

Matthew Fuller said...

I'll make sure I remember that one next time I'm at a formal dinner, "Hey everybody, let's drink like Whore's"

Traveling Dave said...

Matt,
You are Australian it will not matter! Great to hear from you...have you saved money and selected a board to travel with? I put the truck on a ship January 20 for Columbia. Big Pacific Coast surf awaits you my friend.

David
Portobelo, Panama