Saturday, February 5, 2011

Dispatch Number 79 -No Hands

After I saw him I thought shamefully to myself, David, the next time you get bitchy or full of self-pity try it one more time without a pair of hands.
Through a birth defect the backpacker next to me had no hands.
He has gone through his whole life this way and it stimulated a string of questions:
What are his hardships?
How does he count money?
How does he endure being teased and stared at?
How does he eat?
And how does he do it all and not have it be at the center of attention?

He moved effortlessly about and I hardly noticed him in my morning haze. The man with no hands refreshed my perspective on how petty we can make things. In this brief passing it was to never know a man yet be affected by him.

David
Lima, Peru

No comments: