Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dispatch Number 82 -Shot Dead

The violence broke out at 9 on a Sunday evening. Mothers and small children crying, some wail as they walk away from the scene in the cold night air. The shock felt in the aftermath of violence. People stood quiet without emotion. Quiet like a funeral service. The tidy curbs and paving stones betrayed the violence that brought people out of their houses in the small Colombian mountain town of three thousand people. The night was quiet except for aimlessly barking dogs. Quiet the way small agricultural towns are after sunset when they shutter up and the streets become still.

A man was shot dead one block from my hotel. The sounds: killing and shock could be heard in clear detail, the crack of the pistol and the horrible guttural wail women make when someone dies. Six rapid pistol shots, like Chinese firecrackers rang out shattering the peace of early evening. I thought someone had lost their temper and shot one of the barking dogs, when in fact, they lost it and shot another man.

I stood with the gathering crowd. We stared in silence at the dead man laying in the gutter. He looked so peaceful he could have been mistaken for a passed out drunk of 40 or 50 years, a man with a swollen face of too much salt, oil and beer. No sheet or jacket tossed over him, just his still body facing the cold night sky with closed eyes. He lay dead in front of a tienda, a small convenience store, the kind I buy toilet paper, beer and food at.

A crowd formed and stood quietly with a stillness only felt when you walk the streets late at night. Still, very still, like sex after an orgasm, expired and calm. No police car sirens or bright flashing lights, just one cop who arrived on foot in a two cop town. The townsfolk slowly grew into a crescent shape around the dead-man. Not a whisper.

I stood close, close as an outsider dare, looking for Hollywood bullet holes and blood. Unlike the movies there were none. I stood with the rest of them staring. Contemplating. The freshly dead are ghoulish. So strange this man in morbid state with not a whisper in the crowd.
I think to myself, What he did he do for work and wondered what the argument could have been over? How many dead bodies have I seen in my life?

I had to remind myself I was looking at a dead man, one shot dead like the days of the Wild West, there it was again: Hollywood. Listening to my thoughts I can see how much of life is played out on film and not in real life. I left the community to itself, its shock, its whispers. My return walk to the hotel was solemn as I passed whispering women standing in front of a house. I bowed my head and walked on.

Death makes you value life, albeit usually temporarily. You make half-hearted promises to yourself to do something different, much like the cheap new year resolutions we make and don't keep, or like this night, the next death.

Ernesto J. was shot dead over something. Nothing. It could have been anything, a woman, religion or saltine crackers. I sensed the killer was the man sitting next to Ernesto's still body, with his head hung low looking unhappy with his rashness. The policeman's radio crackled.

David
Lima, Peru

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, pienso que la vida se la debe vivir a cada instante,no sabemos si un dia estamos aqui y al siguiente que pasa.
vive y disfruta la vida como si fuera el ultimo dia de tu vida!!!
un beso.
Vanessa
QUITO.

Traveling Dave said...

Vanessa,

Es la verdad. Ahora es el tiempo.

That's the truth. Now is the time.

David
Huaraz, Peru

Dana said...

Death, the thought was on my mind a lot last year when we thought my father might be knocking on deaths doors. The thought of my own immortality had me up some nights, feeling restless and scared. I want to come to terms with it but it scares me so much I get anxiety. I am too attached to life. The fear of the unknown and how I will die scares me the most.

I hope the Buddhist are right and I will re incarnate. May I come back as a traveling, musical, gypsy.

How about you Dave, are you afraid to die? Do you believe it is peaceful and blissful?

Traveling Dave said...

Dana,

Come back today as a traveling, musical gypsy. It is choice, I am convinced of that. There is no fate, no destiny in life, ones actions come from choice and seems the one thing humans are the most uncomfortable with, taking accountability of their lives through choice.

Hard question you ask, Are you afraid of death? Generally, no I am not, this doesn't mean I like looking at it close in the face, it means I don't spend time contemplating it. To me it is natural evolution of the species to have death a part of it, how different am I from a bear or a rabbit? Hardly any on the life cycle.

I don't think death is peaceful or blissful, I think my living life is peaceful and blissful. If I believed in reincarnation then I might not be doing what I am doing today because I might think I'll get a second chance; the problem is one can theoretically be reincarnated into anything and not necessarily a human, one might instead become a plant or tree or rock.

So why not live today? When I die it is over.
The thing I ask myself semi-frequently is, "If I died today, did I do everything I wanted to do today?"

It does not mean big things, it might mean writing a letter to a friend and sending it or taking small steps to pursue something I want. Could mean sharing something nice to say to another person that usually stays bottled up in your head.

'Ahora es el tiempo'
Now is the Time

David

Dana said...

Dave,

At this moment I am fine with my life and how I am living it especially when I look at my son. It is all good. Sure, I have dreams but I like having them.

I have taken a small step recently towards making a dream of mine a possible reality. I purchased the LST book. I have a fantasy of being a human rights attorney.

Life is what you make of it and yes you can only live for now. If I could sing I might become that gypsy now. Not feeling the travel bug at this moment, enjoying living in San Francisco. But moods shift often...part of me. Meditating more to help settle it all.

Om Ah Hung, Vajra Guru Pema Siddhi, Hung!

Enjoy the roads less traveled.

Put up some more photos, how about from you’re recently stayed in Western civilization...

Anonymous said...

Cada vez que me intereso en leer este blog me sorprende mas, que buenas experiencias hay aqui para aprender, respetar a las personas tal y como son, amar la naturaleza en todo su explendor.
un beso.
Vanessa

Ibarra,Ecuador

Traveling Dave said...

Translated from Vanessa's comment:
Whenever I am interested in reading this blog but I am surprised that there are good experiences here to learn, respect people as they are, love nature in all its splendor.
a kiss.
Vanessa

Vanessa,
I'm glad you learn something, and hopefully something to share with others. Governments and religions separate rather than unite us, and this is why we must travel and practice this kind of diplomacy, so we can learn about each other. It cannot be done through television, governments or religions. We must go out and see it for ourselves and make our own conclusions. It is a humanizing experience.

David

My comment translated into Spanish:

Me alegro de que aprender algo, y es de esperar algo para compartir con los demás. Los gobiernos y las religiones separadas en lugar de unirnos, y es por eso que debe viajar y la práctica de este tipo de diplomacia, para que podamos aprender unos de otros. No se puede hacer a través de la televisión, los gobiernos o las religiones. Tenemos que salir y ver por nosotros mismos y hacer nuestras propias conclusiones. Es una experiencia humanizadora.

David

Anonymous said...

Me encanta esto y en español casi perfecto, pero bueno ahora no quiero corregir gramÁtica solo quiero dar mi punto de vista con respecto al salir de nuestras casas y aprender que hay vida en otros paises, que podemos crecer como seres humanos y que ningún gobierno ni nada nos daran la rica experiencia obtenida por nosotros mismos sintiendo en carne propia lo que sienten personas que viven el dìa a día y son felices,otros en cambio lo tienen todo y están ahí es sus países disfrutando de sus comodidades y creyendo que los pobres están en las calles,cuando no se dan cuenta que los pobres son ellos.
pobres de alma , espíritu y sentimientos porque lo ven todo por medio de la tv. que poco o nada aporta con lo que vivimos los que si miramos el mundo desde otra prespectiva desde salir de la casa y tomar un bus con destino desconocido para poder entender al ser humano en toda su extencion.Mis ultimas vivencias fueron en Perú, Bolivia y Chile salí de Ecuador el 20 de diciembre y regrese el 20 de febrero hablo porque lo he vivido y sentido.
Vanessa
Quito, Ecuador